Cream Puffs with Custard and Whipped Cream

Cream puffs with custard and whipped cream!

Yes! They are finally posted! I’ve been trying to make them since September. Yes as in 4 months ago…and 3 tries.

Because I’ve never made cream puffs before, I wasn’t aware that they doubled in size in the oven. So at my first attempt, I made oversized cream puffs. You know the ones where you bite into it and all the cream comes out the other side? No fun I tell you! Especially watching guests struggling to eat them without getting cream all over their faces, or hands, or the floor. It was brutal…and painful. (to watch)

I also realized that even though the outside of the puff was nice and golden, the insides didn’t get cooked all the way. So I left them in the oven longer, and they were too brown and they still were soggy inside. Not good.

Attempt #2: They came out perfect, too perfect. Because by the time I went around to taking the final shot, they disappeared.

So, the third and final attempt….drumroll…..

SONY DSCTa da! Cream puffs with custard and whipped cream!

I’m sure the picture does all the talking. Seriously, who could pass these up? They are perfectly bite sized with no mess and no filling oozing out, guaranteed. ;) Filled with sweet custard and creamy whipped cream which is all homemade, so no chemicals. Another plus!

And the insides get fully cooked, so no need to scrape it out and waste food.

Mom has been making them for years. They are great for parties, because the puffs can be made a couple days ahead (stored in the fridge) and then assembled quickly a couple hours before the guests come.

cream puffsIngredients:

• 1 cup water
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs

The custard recipe could be found here with step by step instructions (pudding may be substituted)

The whipped cream recipe could be found here with step by step instructions (cool whip may be substituted)

Chocolate Drizzle:

• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tsp oil

cream puffsPrepare baking sheet(s) with parchment paper and preheat oven at 375°F. Add water, butter, and salt into a small saucepan on med-high heat.

cream puffsWhen the liquid starts to simmer, lower the heat, add the flour, and quickly mix with a wooden spoon for about a minute. It should turn into a soft mass of dough.cream puffsTake away from the heat and transfer the dough into the bowl of your mixer. Let it cool off for a few minutes. Turn on mixer to med speed and crack the eggs in one at a time while mixing.
cream puffsAdd the dough into your pastry bag with a star tip (I used a 1M tip). Moving your hand in circular motions, pipe dough about 1in x 1 in. These will give you bight size puffs. Make sure the point at the top is sticking upward, or else they will be lopsided when they come out of the oven.

Bake for 18-19 minutes on the top rack. If you are doing this on two baking sheets, make sure to switch them around half way into baking.Cream puffsPoke each puff with a knife so that the steam can escape, and put them back into the oven for 4-5 minutes. This will enable the insides to get fully cooked.cream puffsLet the puffs cool for 10 minutes before cutting in half. Add about half a teaspoon of custard on the bottom half of the puffs. Add whipped cream into a piping bag, and using the same star tip, pipe the cream over the custard.cream puffcream puffsMelt the chocolate chips, add oil and mix well. Drizzle chocolate over the puffs.
Cream puffs with custard and whipped cream

Priyatnogo Appetita!

Cream Puffs with custard and whipped cream

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 46 minutes

Total Time: 38 minutes

Yield: 55-60 puffs

Serving Size: 3 puffs

Cream Puffs with custard and whipped cream

Perfect sized puffs, that are filled with custard and whipped cream.

Ingredients

Puffs:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • Chocolate Drizzle:
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tsp oil

Instructions

Puffs:
  1. Prepare baking sheet(s) with parchment paper and preheat oven at 375°F.
  2. Add water, butter, and salt into a small saucepan on med-high heat.
  3. When the liquid starts to simmer, lower the heat, add the flour, and quickly mix with a wooden spoon for about a minute. It should turn into a soft mass of dough.
  4. Take away from the heat and transfer the dough into the bowl of your mixer. Let it cool off for a few minutes. Turn on mixer to med speed and crack the eggs in one at a time while mixing.
  5. Add the dough into your pastry bag with a star tip (I used a 1M tip).
  6. Moving your hand in circular motions, pipe dough about 1in x 1in. These will give you bight size puffs. Make sure the point at the top is sticking upward, or else they will be lopsided when they come out of the oven.
  7. Bake for 18-19 minutes on the top rack. If you are doing this on two baking sheets, make sure to switch them around half way into baking.
  8. Poke each puff with a knife so that the steam can escape, and put them back into the oven for 4-5 minutes. This will enable the insides to get fully cooked.
  9. To Assemble:
  10. Let the puffs cool for 10 minutes before cutting in half.
  11. Add about half a teaspoon of custard on the bottom half of the puffs.
  12. Add whipped cream into a piping bag, and using the same star tip, pipe the cream over the custard.
  13. Chocolate Drizzle:
  14. Melt the chocolate chips, add oil and mix well. Drizzle chocolate over the puffs.

Tagged: , ,

Comments: 19

1. Aysegul - Ice January 10, 2014 at 9:50 am Reply

Awwhhh they look so sinfully beautiful. I want to put 5 of them in my mouth and loose myself in it. Not a very ladylike but who cares?!!??
    LOL!

• Yelena January 10, 2014 at 11:35 am Reply

Haha, and I would do the same thing, I say enjoy the good things in life, right? ;)

2. Julia @Vikalinka January 10, 2014 at 11:47 am Reply

They are just gorgeous! You photography is lovely. :-) Pinning!

• Yelena January 10, 2014 at 1:53 pm Reply

Thanks Julia:)

3. Sophia January 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm Reply

So it’s basically profiterole with a lot less chocolate sauce. Why didn’t you just called them profiterole with less chocolate? :)

• Yelena January 10, 2014 at 3:56 pm Reply

I’m not familiar with the word profiterole, is that the proper name for these? We just used to call them cream puffs all the time.

• Anita Graham November 28, 2014 at 5:57 am Reply

Profiteroles are the French name for the cream puff dessert (and can also refer to any other choux pastry based desserts such as eclairs)…Cream puffs is just what they are called in the US. But regardless of what they are called, they are delicious :)

4. na January 10, 2014 at 4:07 pm Reply

les, i hate you. just kidding
    cant believe i need to make these now you make me drool like no other. i was online looking for dinner recipes and accidently got on you site. now instead of dinner we have to have cream puffs!!!
    your writing is funny cause i know you were making creampuffs those times and i always thought where is the recipe?? now i know :)
    When you come over next time we need to make a baking party; the kids could stay at grandmas. or we could lock them in the kids room :)
    love ya

• Yelena January 10, 2014 at 4:36 pm Reply

Lol thanks na, haha I’m sure Oleg would really love his dinner tonight. ;) what happened to your New Years resolution to not eat sweets? I’d love to have a baking party, I need to learn a few tips from u! xoxo

5. natalie January 23, 2014 at 1:30 pm Reply

hey can i make this ahead of time?

• Yelena January 23, 2014 at 1:49 pm Reply

Make the puff shells, custard, and whipping cream and store in fridge until ready to be assembled. I’d say no more than 2-3 days. Couple hours before they are devoured, cut the puffs in half, fill them with custard, whipping cream, and chocolate drizzle. If you’d like to have them ready and assembled up to a day ahead of time, just leave out the custard so they won’t get soggy.

6. natalie January 23, 2014 at 6:51 pm Reply

7. natalie January 23, 2014 at 6:52 pm Reply

Do u have any recipe for kievskiy tort?

• Yelena January 23, 2014 at 7:38 pm Reply

Yes I do, it’s actually one of my favorites, unfortunately not posted yet, but look for it soon! ;)

8. natalie January 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm Reply

Great! cant wait

9. saucepan March 3, 2014 at 6:07 pm Reply

My puffs turned out to be to dry on the outside and taste like eggs :( What did I do wrong?

• Yelena March 4, 2014 at 8:23 am Reply

Hmm, sounds like they got over heated. All ovens are different, maybe yours gives off more heat at that temp, or the shape of the puffs were smaller thus, they cokes faster. I would say take them out of the oven 5 minutes earlier, poke the holes and put em back for 3. As far as the eggy taste, well, they do have a slight egg taste to them, but with the filling inside you don’t even taste it. Hope this helps and sorry your batch didn’t turn out so great.

10. Kimberley May 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm Reply

Hi! I just stumbled upon this recipe through foodgawker and I made them last night and they were AMAZING! So so so good! And I’ve never even made cream puffs or custard before! I will definitely be making them again sometime soon! Thank you for the great pictures and easy to follow instructions. I think I found my new favorite dessert!

• Yelena May 26, 2014 at 11:09 pm Reply

Thanks for the sweet feedback :).all the steps can seem overwhelming and challenging I’m glad to hear it worked out for you :) they are amazing, I’m craving some now!