How to make the perfect custard (pastry cream)

how to make the perfect custard, recipe with step by step instructions.I’ve never heard of custard until I asked mom for her cake recipes. I realized I had to get comfortable with this bad boy since it was in almost all her sweets. Literally, her frostings, and cakes, and cream puffs. I’ve been avoiding baking her cakes for this reason.how to make the perfect custard, recipe with step by step instructions.So, what is it anyway? Custard (also known as pastry cream) is made out of egg yolks, milk, and is thickened by adding cornstarch or flour and heating it.

I’ve been making this several times now, and learned a few things:

• Using too much egg yolks makes it taste like, well, yolk
  • Using all flour as a thickener will make it taste doughy
  • Adding cream gives it a rich taste

So, after tweaking mom’s recipe a bit, this custard recipe is perfect; not to yolky, or doughy. Just so rich and so creamy.how to make the perfect custard  Don’t be intimidated about making custard, it’s super easy to make, and very hard to mess up. If you follow the steps correctly you will have yourself a bowl of yumminess in no time.how to make the perfect custard, recipe with step by step instructions.Ingredients:

• 1 3/4 cups whole milk divided
  • 1/4 cups heavy cream
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp flour

custardAdd 1.5 cups of milk and the heavy cream into a saucepan. Set over medium high heat.

custardMeanwhile, add yolks, 1/4 cup milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt into a large mixing bowlcustardMix until combined.custardAdd cornstarch and flour, and whisk until combined.custardWhen milk starts to simmer, remove from heat (not turning off the range top yet) and very very slowly  (I mean very slow) add the yolk mixture into the hot milk while whisking rapidly. Make sure you whisk at the same time as you pour, or else you will end up with scrambled eggs. (your arm might get sore) Bring back saucepan over heat stirring continuously until thickened. custardIt will take about 10 minutes.custardPour into large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes, then place plastic wrap right on top of the custard. This will prevent a skin from forming.custard

Priyatnogo Apetita!

How to make the perfect custard (pastry cream)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 2 cups

How to make the perfect custard (pastry cream)

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cups heavy cream
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp flour

Instructions

1. Add 1.5 cups of milk and the heavy cream into a saucepan. Set over medium heat.
  2. Meanwhile, add yolks, 1/4 cup milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
  3. Add cornstarch and flour to the egg yolk mixture, and whisk until combined.
  4. When milk starts to simmer, remove from heat (not turning off the oven yet) and very very slowly add the yolk mixture into the hot milk while whisking rapidly. Make sure you whisk at the same time, or else you will end up with scrambled eggs.
  5. Bring back saucepan over heat stirring continuously until thickened. It will take about 10 minutes.
  6. Pour into large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes, then place plastic wrap right on top of the custard. This will prevent a skin from forming. Store in fridge.

Notes

Stirring the custard continually will prevent lumps from forming.

Tagged: ,

Comments: 23

1. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com December 13, 2013 at 3:02 am Reply

This custard looks so good! I could just eat it out of the can!

• Yelena December 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reply

Hehe thanks Julia, I had a hard time trying to stop myself from eating this all at once.

2. Tanya December 14, 2013 at 11:13 pm Reply

Yelena,
    I just found your site, everything looks so delishes! Thank you for posting this recipe. I once tried to make a custard, bought everything organic and followed just like I was instructed. It was a disaster and I had to throw everything away. Recently, someone brought a custard to work and it was delishes; however, I didn’t have enough courage to try again. With your step-by-step instructions and explanations, I am definitely making it. I am so super excited to have found your blog and will be waiting for your stories and recipes!

Thank you, Yelena!

• Yelena December 15, 2013 at 12:10 am Reply

You’re welcome, and thank you for your kind words. Do let me know how the custard came out!

3. David December 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm Reply

Making a batch right now! Stirring it and watching it

4. David December 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply

thicken beautifully… third attempt at custard and first ever success!!

• Yelena December 18, 2013 at 12:11 am Reply

Awsome! Glad that your third attempt of making custard was a success! Thanks for the feedback.

5. Maureen December 20, 2013 at 4:06 am Reply

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in
    this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.

Studying this info So i am happy to express that I have an incredibly just
    right uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed.
    I so much indubitably will make sure to do not overlook this web
    site and give it a look on a continuing basis.

• Yelena December 20, 2013 at 8:45 am Reply

Thank you, I’m so glad to hear you found my blog and enjoy this post, thanks for stopping by, I hope you give the custard a try:)

6. Tamara December 25, 2013 at 3:30 am Reply

Just made this & it was terrific! Next time I think ill use a little less sugar

• Yelena December 26, 2013 at 12:07 am Reply

Awsome! I agree, it is a little on the sweet side, but can easily be adjusted, thanks for the feedback.

7. natalie February 28, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reply

hey will this amount of custard cream will be enough for napoleon cake?

8. natalie February 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm Reply

12 korzhey. 11-12 inches in size

• Yelena March 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm Reply

I’ve made two 8 inch napaleons with 8 korzhey each using this custard recipe plus 2 sticks of butter with no problem. I would say yes it would be enough as long as you add butter to the custard :)

9. ANgie March 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm Reply

OMG, I tried the recipe, its so good, can’t stop licking off from the spoon!!!! Thank you so much for sharing <3

• Yelena March 6, 2014 at 10:01 pm Reply

I had the same problem, hehe. Glad you enjoyed it:)

10. Deana April 15, 2014 at 4:08 am Reply

Looks delish!
    Do you think it would it be alright if I replace the flour with more constarch?

• Yelena April 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm Reply

Yes that would work also, I’m not a fan of cornstarch so that’s why I use half half.

11. Earlene April 15, 2014 at 5:12 am Reply

Dear Yelena,

Unfortunately, there is no heavy cream available at my area =( Can I actually substitute the heavy cream with whipping cream instead? Please kindly advice. Thank you.

• Yelena April 15, 2014 at 12:30 pm Reply

Heavy cream and whipping cream are actually the same thing. You are talking about the liquid whipping cream? And not the cool whip in the frozen section? If so then yes they are the same thing, we call it heavy cream here. :)

12. Juli May 6, 2014 at 7:02 am Reply

hello, if i refrigerate the custard, will it keep its’ shape or will it become quite jelly-like? i’ve tried before, it actually become sort of hard :( thanks for the great recipe – trying it out tomorrow, was thinking of making the custard first?

• Marissa May 9, 2014 at 2:19 am Reply

Actually, I was wondering the same thing…I don’t want it to go bad…

• Yelena May 10, 2014 at 12:51 am Reply

Hi juli, when you refrigerate the custard it should keep it’s shape and not harden like jelly, more like pudding. :)